"My kid is painfully shy"
Social anxiety sucks.
Seeing your child with social anxiety can be really hard for parents. Parents often feel their child's opportunities are limited and this is totally true. Social anxiety does interfere with school, social and family life.
Kids with social anxiety are not shy by choice.
Signs and Symptoms...
- intense fear of social encounters
- uncomfortable around other people
- anxiety with unfamiliar people and places
- poor eye contact
- clinging to parent
- alone at free times (lunch, recess)
- extremely focused on their actions
- often worry about people making fun of them
- poor self-esteem
- high worry of embarrassment
- high self consciousness about appearance
- speaking in quiet voice