Childhood anxiety disorders are the most prevalent psychiatric condition. It is also the most treatable. Cognitive-behavioral therapy or CBT is a supported treatment for childhood anxiety. Anxiety will usually worsen over time if left untreated. Most adults with anxiety report that anxiety symptoms started in childhood.
Child Anxiety and Teenage anxiety is common.
What causes anxiety in children?
Good Genes, Good Environment and Good Luck. Meaning our genes play a role, our environment and luck. Some kids will just have anxiety so you can stop blaming yourself!
Signs of Anxiety Disorders...
Anxiety symptoms in children include:
- excessive worry most days of the week
- sleep difficulty
- restlessness or fatigue during day
- trouble concentrating
- frequent physical symptoms (headaches, stomachaches)
Children with anxiety will...
- have unreasonable concerns
- often feel overwhelmed
- become easily distressed
- seek repetitive reassurance ("what if")
- act overly responsible (mini-adult)
- avoid certain activities or school refusal